The field of accounting focuses on the development and interpretation of financial information critical to managerial decision-making. Persons trained in accounting may become executives with major responsibilities in roles such as financial vice president, treasurer, comptroller, or budget director. They may also choose to engage in auditing, tax planning, or consulting.
Mission of the Smeal Accounting Department
- To enhance and disseminate knowledge of accounting and of the accounting profession
- To provide competence for entry into any branch of the accounting profession
- To promote adaptability to changing requirements in the profession
- To impart an attitude of continuous professional development
- To provide an understanding of accounting for non-accounting careers and personal life
- To provide a Ph.D. program with a strong research emphasis to produce competitive candidates for academic positions