S.T.A.R.T. Essay Contest Details
- You must be a full-time undergraduate student enrolled at any Penn State campus to submit an essay for consideration in the S.T.A.R.T. Essay Contest.
- Choose one of the 3 quotes below regarding diversity. In essay form, explain how this quote reflects your thoughts, experiences, and ideas related to diversity.
- 1. “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” -By Marianne Williamson, made famous from Nelson Mandela Inaugural Speech
- 2. Recognize yourself in he and she who are not like you and me -Carlos Fuentes
- 3. Infinite diversity in infinite combinations...symbolizing the elements that create truth and beauty. -Spock
Your submission must meet the following criteria:
- Cover page MUST include: title of paper, student name, major, semester standing, and email-address
- 2 to 4 pages (NOT including cover page), double-spaced
- 12-point Times New Roman font
- One inch margins
Essays will be judged on:
- Quality of writing
- Relevance of topic
- Adherence to guidelines
First round – Essay is due on Thursday, February 7, 2013, by 5:00 pm, by electronic submission to firstname.lastname@example.org. No late or hard copy versions will be accepted.
Finalists will be notified by Thursday, February 14, 2013, to prepare and schedule their presentation for final judging.
Second round – Final presentations will be given the week of February 24, 2013.
Winners will be notified by Friday, March 1, 2013, via email.
Members of the S.T.A.R.T. Committee will make selections for the finalists and winners. The Committee includes undergraduate students, Director of Undergraduate Diversity Enhancement, the Program Advisor, the Program’s MBA Graduate Assistant, and additional Smeal advisors.
First place - $1000
Second place - $500
Third place - $250
- Winners will be recognized and are required to present their final paper at the S.T.A.R.T. Conference on Tuesday, March 26, 2013, at the Nittany Lion Inn.
Please note that if at any time your scholarships, grants, and other types of student financial aid are in excess of your federally computed “financial need” or your “cost of attendance”, it may be necessary for the Office of Student Aid to make adjustments to your previously awarded aid sources.
In order to receive the scholarship, you must be enrolled as a full-time student in good academic standing at the Pennsylvania State University. If you are planning to be on internship, are registered for less than 12 total credits, or if you are studying abroad through a non-Penn State program, your scholarship funds will be forfeited and awarded to another deserving student. It is your responsibility to notify our office of your change in enrollment.