Transportation Operations and Sourcing
This program provides the foundational understanding to manage and optimize transportation operations. Participants learn common terminology as well as methods to effectively manage transportation operations, source carriers, and third party providers to reduce transportation cost and maintain or increase service levels.
Who Should Attend
Transportation Operations and Sourcing is designed for those new to the transportation field or new to supervising people in the transportation field. In addition, anyone looking to brush up on current transportation issues and strategies will benefit. This would include analysts as well as non-transportation personnel interested in learning more about the largest cost area in supply chain management. This program is among the options for those pursuing a Professional Certificate in Supply Chain Operations.
Upon completion of Transportation Operations and Sourcing, you will have gained the knowledge to:
- Discuss the importance of transportation in the supply chain—the second largest expense in a supply chain after cost of goods sold
- Explain the dynamic environment of the transportation industry including economic and regulatory issues
- Decide what modal options make the most sense for your company and its products
- Explain how carriers price their service
- Negotiate and arrange for your freight needs to lower costs and increase service
This program awards 1.5 CEUs. Penn State Continuing Education Units (CEUs) are available based on a standard of one unit per ten hours of classroom instruction. Upon completion of this program, each participant will be awarded a certificate for 1.5 Penn State CEUs earned.
Value Created for You and Your Company
Transportation Operations and Sourcing will provide attendees with practical information to better manage transportation operations. Content will help lower transportation costs or help maintain current rate levels in an increasing freight cost environment.
Trends in Transportation
- Domestic transportation
- Economic trends and issues
- Legislative/regulatory trends and issues
- Global transportation
Transportation Modes and Background
- Parcel and air
- Truckload (TL)
- Less-than-truckload (LTL)
Methods to Manage Transportation Operations
Technologies to Help Optimize Transportation
- Demystifying transportation pricing
- Components of transportation cost
- How carriers approach the bidding process
The RFI and RFP Processes
- Identification of potential providers
- What is a Request for Information (RFI) and what is included?
- What is a Request for Proposal (RFP) and what is included?
- How to evaluate responses
- Comparing “apples to apples” in responses and rates
Our programs are taught by world-class faculty leaders from Penn State, as well as supply chain professionals. Each instructor has an extensive background in research and consulting, and in educating executives. Each brings to the classroom best-practice tools and implementation processes for achieving world-class results.
Dr. Christopher D. Norek, Senior Partner, Chain Connectors, Inc. and Senior Instructor, Penn State
Dr. Robert Novack, Associate Professor of Supply Chain Management, Penn State
Ms. Gail Rutkowski, Executive Director, National Shippers Strategic Transportation Council
The program fee of $2,500 includes all instructional materials, private room accommodations, meals, break service, and access to recreational facilities. Association member pricing applies:
$2,400 for CSCMP members
$2,000 for CSCR corporate sponsors
Active military personnel, PSU alumni, and teams of three or more attending this program from one company are eligible for a 20% program discount.
Our enrollment coordinator will be happy to hold a seat for you in this program. A reservation does not commit you to the program until you submit the registration form online. Please call 814-865-3435.
This program is among the options for those pursuing a Professional Certificate in Supply Chain Operations. Participants must take two others from the topics below to complete the Certificate:
- strengthens the understanding of foundational concepts and the contextual knowledge to drive improvements in inventory management.
- Fulfillment Operations Management provides an understanding of fulfillment operations from forecasting thru delivery.
- Introduction to Supply Chain Analytics a better understanding of the extent to which objectives are being achieved.
- Strategic Procurement and Purchasing develops knowledge of basic principles in purchasing and the drivers that create competitiveness.