Introduction to Supply Chain Analytics
A joint venture with Smeal College of Business' Center for Supply Chain Research. Cosponsored by the Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals.
This program in the Supply Chain Operations Certificate sequence will provide you with an understanding of key areas of logistics and supply chain management where relevant analysis of data may be needed. The approach will focus on several key supply chain functions and provide hands-on learning for how to best understand and analyze data that may be available for the supply chain. This will be facilitated through the use of Excel-based approaches for managing, understanding, and deriving value from actual supply chain databases. Additionally, the course will provide an understanding of the functional analytics to better understand the extent to which logistics and supply chain objectives are being achieved.
At the end of Introduction to Supply Chain Analytics, you will be able to:
- Understand the key areas of logistics and supply chain management for which data collection and analysis may be helpful to the achievement of broader logistics and supply chain objectives
- Identify the types of data and information that may best help you understand and profile the activity of interest across the functional areas of customer, product, inventory, transportation and supplier
- Aggregate functional data in ways that help to provide a better understanding of the extent to which functional, as well as logistics and supply chain objectives, are being met
- Meaningfully evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of logistics operations through understanding the functional metrics and analyses
- Develop plans for improvement of logistics and supply chain activities
This program awards 1.5 CEUs. Penn State Continuing Education Units (CEUs) are available based on a standard of one unit per ten hours of classroom instruction. Upon completion of this program, each participant will be awarded a certificate for 1.5 Penn State CEUs earned.
Who Should Attend
This is an introductory, how-to program for analysts and new managers who can benefit from experiencing hands-on familiarity with supply chain data and fundamental approaches to analysis and interpretation of supply chain data. The program will cover fundamental concepts, processes, and tools to help better manage and improve their organizations’ supply chains and key process areas. Participants should have a moderate level of proficiency in Excel, but the program will include useful approaches to cleaning, analyzing, and deriving understanding from actual supply chain databases. This program is among the options for those pursuing a Professional Certificate in Supply Chain Operations.
The following topics are covered:
- Understanding functional activities or sets of data of relevance to logistics and supply chain management including customer, product, inventory, transportation, and supplier
- Strategies for data collection and aggregation
- Approaches to analysis of functional data
- Integrating results of functional analyses to better understand logistics and supply chain performance
- Developing improvement strategies based on results of data analyses
This program is taught by world-class faculty leaders from Penn State, as well as supply chain professionals. Each instructor has an extensive background in research and consulting, and in educating executives. Each brings to the classroom best-practice tools and implementation processes for achieving world-class results.
Dr. C. John Langley Jr., Clinical Professor of Supply Chain Management and Director of Development for the Center for Supply Chain Research, Penn State
Listen to Dr. Langley's interview by SCDigest on what he sees as the biggest challenge facing companies today.
Dr. Christopher D. Norek, Senior Partner, Chain Connectors, Inc. and Senior Instructor, Penn State
The program fee of $2,500 includes all instructional materials, private room accommodations, meals, break service, and access to recreational facilities. Association member pricing applies:
$2,400 for CSCMP members
$2,150 for CSCR corporate sponsors
Active military as well as PSU alumni are eligible for a program discount. Call to inquire.
Our enrollment coordinator will be happy to hold a seat for you in this program. A reservation does not commit you to the program until you submit the registration form online. Please call 814-865-3435.
This is among the options for those pursuing a Professional Certificate in Supply Chain Operations. Participants must take two others from the topics below to complete the Certificate:
- provides the tools and learning, based on practical applications, to start or improve your collaboration initiatives.
- strengthens the understanding of foundational concepts and the contextual knowledge to drive improvements in inventory management.
- Fulfillment Operations Management provides an understanding of fulfillment operations from forecasting thru delivery.
- Strategic Procurement and Purchasing develops knowledge of basic principles in purchasing and the drivers that create competitiveness.
- Transportation Operations and Sourcing covers methods to effectively manage transportation operations, source carriers and third party providers to reduce costs and improve service levels.
Programs may be taken in any order over any period of time. An Executive Programs representative will be happy to help you select the appropriate program for your current level of responsibility.
This program is cosponsored by the Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals.