Leading in Complex Organizations
As you grow in leadership responsibility, you must understand your larger role in implementing strategic plans in support of your organization’s goals. This requires both expansive thinking and increased leadership skills to engage a team that is focused on results. This executive program provides the strategic mindset and tools for execution to accomplish just that.
Leading in Complex Organizations provides a highly integrated approach to strategic implementation and performance management. Participants will significantly increase strategic thinking, decision-making, personal leadership, and influence skills while maximizing the use of management systems to increase their ability to create organizational performance and growth.
Who Should Attend
This program is designed for those charged with creating and implementing strategy and developing organizational capability. It is ideal for those with functional and general management responsibilities who seek to enhance their strategic leadership effectiveness. The participant may or may not have direct reports but is in a position of strategic influence in the enterprise or business unit. The course is an option for a Leadership Certificate in Strategy and Organizational Performance.
Note to Government Professionals: This program fulfills much of the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQ) required for Senior Executive Service.
Leading in Complex Organizations provides practical knowledge and tools for:
- Creating and implementing business unit strategy
- Aligning business unit initiatives with enterprise direction
- Increasing results in strategy execution through the use of major components of strategic alignment
- Creating systems to generate and measure performance
- Developing your personal management/leadership style
Beyond lecture and deep engagement with faculty and peers, content is tied together through a “management simulation” which gives participants the opportunity to apply learned skills directly and immediately each day. Feedback on simulation performance is provided daily.
- Translating the Competitive Environment
- Developing Strategic Capabilities
- Implementing Strategy from the Enterprise to the Operating Departments
- Working Within New Organizational Models
The Leader's Role
- Leadership Styles
- Using Emotional Intelligence to Enhance Leadership and Influence
- Shaping an Effective Organizational Culture
- Strategy Implementation: Process, People, and Purpose
- Communication and Relationship Management
- Performance Management
- Motivational Techniques
- Encouraging Employee Commitment
Capability and Culture Building
- Shaping Social Operation Systems and Processes
- Creating Solutions to Complex Situations
- Creating an Effective Value Chain
- Increasing Organization Effectiveness
- Decision-Making Techniques
- Organizational Impacts on Decision Making
Value for You and Your Company
Application is a key element of program design. In a risk-free environment, participant teams test implications of complex, long-range decisions in running their own company. Key concepts are driven home by:
- developing strategic thinking,
- building competitive awareness,
- demonstrating the overall interaction of various parts of a business; and,
- measuring the effectiveness of team-based decisions.
This program also features a 360 assessment plus follow-up executive coaching on a project or leadership challenge.
The program is taught by faculty leaders with extensive backgrounds in research, consulting, and educating executives. Each brings to the classroom best-practices and implementation processes for achieving world-class results.
Mr. Charles J. Ninos, President, C. Joseph Ninos and Associates
Department Chair, Robert & Judith Auritt Klein Professor of Management, Department: Management and Organization, Smeal College of Business, Penn State
Ms. Maria W. Taylor, Managing Director of Executive Programs, Penn State Executive Programs, Smeal College of Business, Penn State
The program fee of $4,750 includes all instructional materials, private room accommodations, meals, and access to recreational facilities.
Active military personnel, PSU alumni, and teams of three or more attending this program from one company are eligible for a 20% program discount.
Our enrollment coordinator will be happy to hold a seat for you in this program. A reservation does not commit you to the program until you submit the registration form online. Please call 814-865-3435.
Strategic Leadership provides senior leaders with the perspective to develop strategy and lead change in the organization. You will examine your business environment, determine opportunity, and enhance organizational capability to innovate and impact performance.
Finance for Strategic Decision Making provides critical accounting and financial knowledge for making decisions that positively affect the performance of the business unit and profitability of the organization. This program covers accounting basics, financial analysis and planning, strategic finance, and corporate valuation.
Increasing Your Power and Influence is part two in the Women's Leadership Series that provides you with a framework for diagnosing and analyzing individual and organizational sources of power as well as an array of tactics by which power and influence are wielded to get things done.