Finance for Strategic Decision Making
This program is a required course for the Certificate in Strategic Leadership. Please see below for a complete list.
Regardless of job function, if you are in a management position chances are that you are also responsible for financial policy and a budget. Through Finance for Strategic Decision Making, you will learn how the impact of your financial decisions affects the performance of your unit and profitability of your organization. You will gain a better understanding of finance and accounting concepts for the competitive edge necessary for your organization's growth and success. You will leave this program with improved general financial knowledge and communications skills, and an in-depth understanding of the impact your decisions have outside your functional area.
Who Should Attend
This program is designed for those charged with creating and implementing strategy and developing organizational capability. It is ideal for those with functional and general management responsibilities who seek to enhance their strategic leadership effectiveness. The participant may or may not have direct reports but is in a position of strategic influence in the enterprise or business unit. Prior knowledge of finance is not necessary.
Participants will have the opportunity to build their own "financial toolbox" with essential financial analysis tools, sources of financial data, and evaluative processes and enablers that allow for application to their specific needs. Take-aways include:
- Understanding financial statements
- Communicating comfortably using financial terms
- Using financial forecasting techniques
- Evaluating performance through financial modeling using spreadsheets
- Understanding how to apply the time value of money and valuation approaches in making financial decisions
- Improving organizational performance
The intent of Finance for Strategic Decision Making is to create unique value for you and your organization with a particular focus on:
Financial Statements and Analysis
- Income statements, balance sheets, and statements of cash flow
- Performing ratio analysis to gauge performance and growth
- Understanding key financial concepts such as margins, turnover, and growth rate measures
- How to apply the above concepts to evaluate your firm, your competitors, and suppliers
- Internet-based sources of information to perform financial analysis
- Using asset pricing models to evaluate risk and return trade-offs
- Alternative measures of performance and how to use them to evaluate investments
- How to compute and use the cost of capital
Understanding Key Strategic Financial Management Decisions
- Capital budgeting
- Capital structure
- Working capital management
- Applying valuation principles to capital investment decisions
- Understanding alternative approaches to valuing investments and evaluating risk
- Evaluation methods for mergers and acquisitions
- Hands-on experience in the Rogers Family Trading Room to gain an appreciation for markets
Global Financial Models
- Foreign exchange exposure
- International capital budgeting
The program is taught by faculty leaders with extensive backgrounds in research, consulting, and educating executives. Each brings to the classroom best-practices and implementation processes for achieving world-class results.
Dr. Chris Muscarella, Professor of Finance, L.W. 'Roy' and Mary Lois Clark Teaching Fellow, Smeal College of Business, Penn State
Dr. David Haushalter, Associate Professor of Finance and Academic Director of the Rogers Family Trading Room, Smeal College of Business, Penn State
Mr. Kenneth Pasch, Instructor in Accounting, Smeal College of Business, Penn State
Dr. Dennis Sheehan, The Virginia and Louis Benzak Professor of Finance, Smeal College of Business, Penn State
The program fee of $4,750 includes all instructional materials, private room accommodations, meals, and access to recreational facilities.
Active military personnel, PSU alumni, and teams of three or more attending this program from one company are eligible for a 20% program discount.
Our enrollment coordinator will be happy to hold a seat for you in this program. A reservation does not commit you to the program until you submit the registration form online. Please call 814-865-3435.
Strategic Leadership provides senior leaders with the perspective to develop strategy and lead change in the organization. You will examine your business environment, determine opportunity, and enhance organizational capability to innovate and impact performance. .
Leading in Complex Organizations develops an integrated approach to strategic, financial, and performance management. Benefits those charged with strategy execution and overall performance of the business unit.