Aligning Strategy, Leadership, and Culture: Keys to Competitive Advantage
As a senior leader, you know your job is about making an impact. You clearly see your business as an interconnected network of people, processes, and technologies where successful implementation of strategic initiatives requires effective communication and collaboration. How can you create an engaged work environment that capitalizes on change? Aligning Strategy, Leadership, and Culture: Keys to Competitive Advantage helps you - the organization builder - to execute for profitable performance.
Aligning Strategy, Leadership, and Culture provides senior leaders with the integrated strategic and management perspective to lead transformational change within the organization. You will learn how the forces of culture impact performance and hone communication skills to establish a common sense of purpose that drives commitment and cooperation.
“Personally, the class gave me the opportunity to take a good look at my own motives and expectations in relation to "work.” Taking the time to compare where my motives lie and recognizing how that affects my leadership style will fundamentally improve my professional development. Excellent program that I would definitely recommend.”
– Matthew Caesar, Chief of Product Development, Digital Solutions Incorporated/Inmate Telephone Incorporated
Who Should Attend
This program is designed for those charged with creating and implementing strategy, organizational capability, and talent development. Past participants have been directors thru VP-level. General managers will benefit also. The participant may or may not have direct reports but is in a position of strategic influence in the enterprise or business unit.
Note to Government Professionals: This program fulfills much of the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQ) required for Senior Executive Service.
Aligning Strategy, Leadership, and Culture prepares you to effectively deal with the multi-faceted complexities of leading today’s organizations. Specifically, you will improve your ability to:
- Critically assess and respond to the changing environment and marketplace
- Articulate your organization's core capabilities and operational focus to compete
- Learn a "Design Think" framework for creating strategy
- Apply critical thinking to test innovation initiatives
- Understand how financial performance affects process and operations in an organization
- Assess your organizational culture and the propensity for change
- Communicate, motivate, and empower talent to lead and implement organizational change
Faculty leaders will have you step back and take a global view of your organization where you will confront the external factors affecting the business and where opportunity may lie. Then you will learn how to establish effective performance management and engagement through your teams for successful execution.
“This program helped me to start to think outside the box and learn the concept of continual product/process development (momentum), as well as leadership styles and when and how to use them.”
– Nabeel Sarwani, M.D., Assistant Professor of Radiology and Director, Body MRI Penn State Hershey Medical Center
- Assessing the external environment
- Setting direction for your organization
- Leading innovation and Design Think strategy
- Managing cycles of change
- Encouraging flexibility and creativity
Enhancing People Systems
- Leadership roles and responsibilities
- Team-building methods
- Understanding your organizational environment and propensity for change
- Translating strategic intent into action
- Enhancing leadership effectiveness through better communication
- Creating value
- Evaluating success through the numbers
- Acquiring levers for enhancing performance
Value Created for You and Your Company
What's your organizational DNA? Through an exclusive tool that uses current data provided by your colleagues, you receive a candid, objective assessment of your current organizational and leadership environment. The Strategy, Leadership, Culture Questionnaire (SLCQ) is a simple but powerful process that measures 18 critical dimensions of organizational effectiveness.
Change Leadership Simulation
You will apply concepts discussed about the process of change through a computer-based simulation that has you determine the appropriate tactics and timing of them in order to lead a successful change initiative. This is an extremely powerful tool that provides intense learning in a short period of time.
- Dr. Carlo Ninassi, Associate Professor of Practice - Strategy & Innovation, Executive Programs, Smeal College of Business, Penn State
- Mr. Scott Collins, Clinical Assistant Professor of Accounting, Smeal College of Business, Penn State
- Mr. Tom Cross, CEO, Thomas A. Cross Consulting
- Ms. Maria W. Taylor, Managing Director of Executive Programs, Smeal College of Business, Penn State
- Dr. Albert A. Vicere, Executive Education Professor of Strategic Leadership, Smeal College of Business, Penn State
The program fee of $7,950 includes all instructional materials, private room accommodations, meals, and access to recreational facilities.
Active military personnel, PSU alumni, and teams of three or more attending this program from one company are eligible for a 20% program discount.
Our enrollment coordinator will be happy to hold a seat for you in this program. A reservation does not commit you to the program until you submit the registration form online. Please call 814-865-3435. Active military personnel, PSU alumni, and teams of three or more attending this program from one company are eligible for a 20% program discount.
Business Architecture and Strategic Business Process Management teaches a foundational understanding of core business architecture methods, how business architecture and business process methods work in concert, and how to apply them to strategic programs and business process initiatives.
Developing Managerial Effectiveness develops a broad organizational perspective for middle managers charged with setting and implementing business plans that look beyond the confines of the department.
Finance for the Non-Financial Manager provides a complete “toolbox” of accounting and financial knowledge for making decisions that positively affect the performance of the business unit and profitability of the organization. This program covers accounting basics, financial analysis and planning, strategic finance, and corporate valuation.
Launch Pad provides participants with hands-on learning of the issues, personal skills required, and techniques for balancing the many demands placed on the entrepreneur to start a company. The program will create an entrepreneurial experience for you with all the pressures and demands of the real world in an early stage start up. You will quickly acquire the knowledge and insight to start your own company.