As a Penn State Smeal MBA student, you will be backed by the insights and expertise of our team and our unique and proven Personal Career Strategy Framework. With your dramatically deepening reservoir of business skills and knowledge, you will be poised to successfully pursue internship and full-time opportunities with top companies.
During the two-week orientation to the Smeal MBA Program in August, we spend significant time outlining the vast array of career development resources available to you as a student and planning your career-search strategy. When companies begin recruiting for internships in September of your first year, you will be ready.
This weeklong experience following the first module of classes in the Smeal MBA Program offers career workshops, individualized coaching and mentoring sessions, and opportunities for alumni and executive interaction.
Personal Career Strategy
This framework provides a powerful tool to map where you want to go in your career and how you are going to get there. The framework provides step-by-step guidance for:
- Self-Exploration: Understanding what is truly important to you: your strengths, passions, and convictions.
- Market Research: Exploring a wide range of industries, companies, concentrations, and job roles.
- Focus: Narrowing your consideration set.
- Planning: Developing a proactive and reactive job-search strategy.
- Implementation: Employing networking and outreach tactics aligned with your strategy; effectively managing interviews, follow-up, and offer negotiations.
- Career Management: Leveraging your internship to maximize the potential for a full-time offer and managing your first 90 days on the job as a full-time employee following graduation.