The field of accounting focuses on the development and interpretation of financial information critical to managerial decision-making. Persons trained in accounting may become executives with major fiscal responsibility-financial vice president, treasurer, comptroller, or budget director. They may also choose to engage in auditing, tax planning, or consulting.
Mission of the Smeal Accounting Department
- To enhance and disseminate knowledge of accounting and of the accounting profession
- To provide competence for entry into any branch of the accounting profession
- To promote adaptability to changing requirements in the profession
- To impart an attitude of continuous professional development
- To provide an understanding of accounting for non-accounting careers and personal life
- To provide a Ph.D. program with a strong research emphasis to produce competitive candidates for academic positions