Dr. R. Hadly Waters (1908–88)
Dr. R. Hadly Waters began his career at Penn State in 1936 in the College of the Liberal Arts, where he taught courses focusing on transportation and traffic management. These courses became the base for what is now the Department of Supply Chain and Information Systems in the Smeal College of Business.
Virtually every transportation student at Penn State during the 1940s and 1950s had Dr. Waters as an instructor. In 1964 he contributed to the creation of the Department of Business Logistics. Those who knew Dr. Waters remember him as one of the pioneers in the Smeal College and as a dedicated proponent of professionalism in transportation and logistics.