Smeal Alumni-To-Alumni Virtual Networking Events
To participate in our online networking events, please join The Penn State Smeal College of Business Alumni (Official) LinkedIn Group.
How the event will work:
During this event, you will be paired with other Smeal alumni for several 8-minute text-based conversations that will allow you to make a connection, exchange contact information and build your Smeal network.
Once connected with a fellow Smeal alumnus, you'll be able to talk about your background and chat -- introduce yourself right away!
Preparing for the event:
- Update your LinkedIn profile. Even though this is not a virtual career fair, there will be a place to upload your resume. The purpose is to build a Smeal network around the world and in your area, learn about each other's companies, make connections with professionals in other fields, etc.
- On the registration landing page, scroll down and view the instruction video at the bottom under "Learn More About How it Works." This will show you how easy it is to participate!
- Prepare a 3-5 sentence introduction about yourself to be able to copy and paste into the chat.
- Plan a few key questions such as open-ended questions. As a general rule of thumb, "why" questions generate the most interesting answers and conversations.
- Arrive with a positive attitude and have fun networking!
- View Brazen Careerist's best virtual networking practices at this site.
Technical Assistance/Event Questions:
- Any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-879-8029.
During the event:
- Visit the "Connect with Smeal" chat room to connect with our office. Don't get in line! Scroll down to the discussion feed at the bottom and post your questions in the comments. The chat room contains a list of ways you can volunteer at Smeal. Leave a question or interest and your email. Then continue to network. Our office get back to you!
- You can get in line in as many industry chat rooms as you want. As people become available, you will automatically be connected. Click on the "Make Status Available" in the box to get in line. Click on "Make Status Away" to opt out.
- Your chat feed will be available for review after the event.
- Be sure to connect on LinkedIn with people you meet and keep in touch with your network.